Friday, April 15, 2011

Book of the Month - 'Bittersweet'

'This is what I've come to believe about change: it's good, in the way that childbirth is good, and heartbreak is good, and failure is good. I've learned the hard way that change is one of God's greatest gifts, and most useful tools. Change can push us pull us, rebuke us, and remake us. It can show us who we've become, in the worst ways and also in the best ways. I've learned that it's not something to run away from, as though we could, and that in many cases, change is a function of God's graciousness, not life's cruelty.' Shauna Neiquist, Bittersweet Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not the biggest fan of change I once did a personality test and one of the traits that came out was 'Resistant to Change', and it's true! Why would I want to change something that works, something I'm comfortable with? I like my routines my way of doing things, if I tried something new it might not work, I may not be able to do it, I might fail, and to fail would be utter awfulness (if that's a word?) and so I just don't try... ...but one thing I'm learning, very slowly I might add, is if there is no change how can we grow? My lovely younger sister gave me the book Bittersweet along with some others as a going away present and I can not put it down! It's full of stories of sweet sadness (hence the title) but still full of hope, and the author is so open and candid you feel like you're right there experiencing it all with her. It's definitely a re-reader and don't forget the tissues. You can read more about 'Bittersweet here. Shauna has also written 'Cold Tangerines', (also fantastic) which you can buy here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. They make my day!